Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My crafting history

I have always loved crafts. I owe my DIY attitude to my parents!! My dad had a small hobby of working with wood and my mom was an excellent seamstress. My dad made the most awesome kitchen set and cradle for my older sister when she was 2 years old while my mom sewed little linens and painted. Of course, being the younger sister, this was handed down to me, but was nonetheless appreciated! My mom sewed my first Cabbage Patch Kid and made most of my favorite clothes as a kid. My mother was very frugal, which came in handy during a period when my dad was out of work. I remember that year we made my grandma all handmade gifts for Christmas. But I think the turning point, the revelation, the thing that really developed my love of crafts was the day my mom, sister, and I spent making our own beaded bracelets after my sister and I admired some we saw at a children's store. It's weird, but I KNOW I can pinpoint it to that day. It was the first time I had really and truly created something myself, without template or adult help; the first time I was able to truly express myself. We had a huge pack of beads and I was able to make all kinds of bracelets for seasons, holidays, ones that matched my outfits, and of course matching ones for my lovingly handcrafted Cabbage Patch Kid. Thanks, Mom & Dad!

1 comment:

Nicole Lang said...

In addition to our parents inspiring me, my sister and brother are also very crafty. My sister is a super duper excellent seamstress and a florist. Yes, that came in handy when both she and I got married! She made our wedding dresses, her bridesmaids dresses, and did all the flowers! You should see the beautiful things she creates for her daughters as well. She also has a knack for drawing. My brother creates things for sound equipment and has patents. I think he also took after my dad's woodworking. You'll find a few functional and creative pieces of furniture around his house! ;)