Friday, April 4, 2008

I sewed my first dress!



And it didn't fit, so I gave it to my sister. Yes, the expert seamstress sister who can sew anything with her eyes closed. Having spring fever, I decided to tackle the project of making a dress for myself to wear for Easter. Of course, I didn't even start it until after Easter! I bought a bunch of patterns when they went on sale at Joann's, but the first one I chose to try was McCall's #5094 style B. This picture doesn't do the fabric justice at all! It's a really beautiful light blue with a cute flower pattern embroidered throughout in a slightly-darker-than-the-fabric blue. I have sewed quite a few things before. Quilts, curtains, purses (things with straight lines) and a few Halloween costumes; all things that didn't really matter how well they looked. I apparently made the dress a size to small, but with all the mistakes I made, it ended up being probably 2 sizes to small! I learned a lot from my mistakes, so I'm going to tackle it again because it's really cute! I'm also going to try another pattern too and learn from more mistakes I'm sure! Despite the mistakes, it's still really pretty. I'm horrified and embarrassed that my sister would wear something that poorly sewn, and yet at the same time I'm proud that she would actually want to wear it! I hope no one looks too closely while she's wearing it and thinks, "I thought this girl could sew?" At least I know if anyone can fix my mistakes, it's her. She'll make it all better! And, yes, that is my sister Julie modeling her new dress! I figure after all the beautiful and fun things she has sewn for me over the years, maybe it's time I return the favor?

No comments: